Thursday, June 22, 2006

Seeing things through completion

Greg Doherty, a tenacious senior manager from Oracle had hired me to work in Onebox during the .com boom. On my first day at work I did see a very chaotic atmosphere (this was my first startup experience). No welcome letter, No desk, No computer, People busy doing things and profanity flying around like there as no other words. After about 1.5 days of this I had it. Times were good and job offers were dime a dozen. So I left, only to later find out that Onebox was acquired by Software.com for 800 million dollars. And later that year I had managers from Onebox taking First course in Java from me in UC Berkeley extension.

Before I left Onebox, I did talk with Greg Doherty about the situation. He told me outright that I did not fit into the genetics of Onebox. I did ask Greg what are two things that shape his goals. He said:
1. I take on a lot of things (that why he was always busy).
2. I never let the ball drop on anyone of those things.
3. When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

This lesson from 1999 would later shape my career. I did join a startup and found two companies (that are all successful). I now make sure that what I start, I finish - bring it to a closure. It is important to weigh the consequences of what you take on and accomplish the set out of objectives. This is a key for success of any project execution.

No comments: